Sunday 9 March 2014

World Thinking Day - 22nd February 2014

World Thinking Day is the a day recognised by Girl Guides and Scouts around the World. It is the shared birthday of Lord and Lady Baden-Powell the founders of both Scouts and Girl Guides. On this day Girl Guides come together and raise money for different countries in need. Every year they have a main focus point and this year they were focusing on education. The main countries that were beginning focused on were Armenia, Bangladesh, Egypt, Benin and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines.


World Thinking Day homepage banner
This image was taken from http://www.worldthinkingday.org/en/home

Girl Guides and Girl Scouts were first introduced in Armenia in 1996. In 2006 they had 1514 members. Each Country has a different promise but the basics of each promise are the same for each one. The Guide promise in Armenia is "I swear on my honour to be faithful to god and to serve my nation, my motherland, always help others and act as a responsible, courageous and generous person, to keep the Law of the girl guides and girl scouts."

Armenia

In 1928 Girl Guides were introduced to Bangladesh, they are one of the founding members of WAGGGS(World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts). They had 52567 members in 2006. In Bangladesh the Brownies are called Yellowbirds. Brownies are aged from 6-10. The Bangladeshi promise for the Yellowbirds is "I promise to do my best to do my duty to God and my country to help other people everyday especially at home." The Guides promise is "On my honour I promise that I will Do my best to do my duty to God and my country. To help other people at all times. To obey the Guide Laws."

Bangladesh

Egyptian Guides started inn 1913, in 2006 they had 44300 members. Ladybirds, who are the youngest guides are called Rainbows and are aged 5 to 7 years old. The Rainbows promise is "I love God... I am polite and I help people, my family and my friends." The Brownie promise is "I promise to do my best to preform my duty towards God and my dear country, to help people everyday especially my family." The Guide promise is " On my honour I promise to do my duty to God then my country, to help people in all circumstances, to obey the Guide Laws". 

Egypt

The Peoples Republic of Benin introduced Guiding in 1954. There were 2000 members in 2006. Their Brownie promise is "I promise to do my bets to be faithful to God, my country, my parents and the Law of the pack and to do a good turn to someone everyday promise." The Girl guide promise is "On my honour with Gods help I  promise to do my best to serve God the church and my country. To help other people at all times, to obey the Guide laws."

Benin

In 1914 Girl Guides were introduced in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. When the census was taken in 2006 they had 1456 members. The Brownie promise in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines is "I promise that I will do my best: To do my duty to God, To serve the Queen and my country, To help other people and, To keep the Brownie Guide Law." The Guide promise is "I promise that I will do my best, To do my duty to God, To serve the Queen and my country, To help other people and, To keep the Guide Law."

St Vincent and the Grenadines


*All maps are taken from https://maps.google.com/*

**Information is based on the information found on http://www.worldthinkingday.org/en/home **


No comments:

Post a Comment